Monday, March 10, 2008

Cornbread PB&J

I just made a batch of the sweet potato cornbread and I left the sweet potato out altogether. It is great. It's still really moist and holds together really well, and it's even easier to throw together. Today I made my first peanut butter and jelly on cornbread. I do love a good PB &J. I found some local raw peanuts at the farmers market. I roasted them and then put 'em in the blender with salt and honey to make a toasty peanut butter concoction. Then I slathered it on my cornbread with some plum preserves (which I believe came from our friends Charlie and Debby). It was pretty good, but I have to admit it wasn't quite as good as a PB&J on whole wheat bread UNTIL.... I stuck the whole sandwich in the oven (I was at work so the oven was on anyway). THEN it was a kick ass warm ooey gooey toasty PB&J that was as good as any I've ever had!

5 comments:

muse kidd said...

Hey girl... good for you. I've always been impressed with your "foodiness". You've got quite an advantage from where you live, btw... the Food Lion down the street from me hardly carries whole wheat bread!... and they stopped stocking Red Stripe beer(apparrently I was the only consumer!) so anyway... here's your next challenge... as it's getting warm soon... give up the automobile for a month (I, myself have not been in a car or truck since Thanksgiving)... try it, I dare ya... lol... anyway, take care good luck on the next two weeks

Cathy Cleary said...

That is quite a challenge. I am so impressed. It is a hard country to give up the automobile in. I would love to hear more about your experience and what you've learned. I admit the local food thing sounds much easier to me. I do have many advantages - being able to order bulk local veggies through the bakery. I can take some home and use the rest at the restaurant. I also have the luxury of not having kids who might turn up their noses at my meals.
My advantages for leaving the car behind are not as numerous, but I do love my bike...

Unknown said...

Cathy,
I'm super excited to try your cornbread recipe. I am a pretty serious local foodie but have not found a source for milk. I was wondering what it would take for you to share your source with me...

CC said...

Hey Cathy, I've enjoyed reading your blog. You are very well-spoken and entertaining, you should write a column on food! I attended a program at the Swannanoa Library recently about how to reduce your energy consumption and help restore the earth. Of course, one suggestion was to eat and buy locally, among others. I mentioned what you were doing and at the time you were having some issues with finding things to eat. The coop farm, Foothills Family Farms came up as a good place to get local produce year round (I'm sure you already know about them, but just in case). Also, Flying Cloud came up, but I haven't looked into that yet. I recieved some really good info and will share it with you next time I see ya. Did you know (again you probably do) that it takes 16 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of beef AND the water required to produce just 10 lbs of steak equals the water consumption of the average household for a year! Crazy! Anyway, thanks for all you do because you inspire others to do more, too! (that was not intended to sound like Dr. Seuss, sorry!) Love, CC

Cathy Cleary said...

Someone asked for info on local milk. I'd love to share my source with you, but I don't want to post the name and number - so email me at cathycleary@gmail.com and I'll give you the info.
Cathy