Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's all soup in the end

I am finally finding ways to save time and not spend my life cooking for myself. Last week Reid and I made a huge batch of Roasted Veggies - sweet potato, butternut, turnips, and potato. I also made a huge batch of polenta. I sauted up some of our Barese style sausage and served that on top of the polenta with roasted veggies on the side. This became the basis for several other meals. The next day I made soup with some of the polenta and leftover venison curry. Then I used the roasted veggies and leftover sausage to make a frittata with goat cheese and sauted chard. I also used roasted veggies on tops of two salads along with some hard boiled egg and homemade queso cheese with yogurt dressing. I made polenta cakes and used dried shittaki mushrooms and sausage to make a reduction sauce that I poured over the cakes and topped with Yellowbranch farmstead cheese. Then I made another soup with collards, venison stock, and roasted veggies. Last night I pulled some eggplant tomato sauce that I made last summer out of the freezer and used the last of the polenta to make broiled cakes topped with eggplant tomato sauce and cheese. Belive it or not I still have a few roasted veggies in the fridge. I will eat them today no doubt!

1 comment:

Charlie Headington said...

Cathy,
I love your combinations. The on-going roasted vegetables, passing through soups and sauces, the polenta--why do I forget to eat polenta everyday???, so many ways.
Your inventiveness reminds me of the fall/winter cooking at Spannocchia where Deb and I work--game, wine, vegetables, many from deep in the ground. Wow!
Charlie H