Friday, February 22, 2008

What am I eating?

I was at a bar the other night (yes I was drinking a locally made beer) and my lenten resolution came up. One of the women I was with asked me what a typical day of meals looked like for me. I thought that was a great question... 'cause I always love to hear what other people are cooking and eating. Here is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast
A big bowl of grits with crumbled sausage and farmstead cheese

Lunch
Sweet potato, kale, sausage, green onion, and yukon gold potato soup made with venison broth/ Cornbread on the side

Dinner
Venison Curry served over polenta/ A side salad of greens from my garden (and Lewis's) grated sweet potato, homemade queso cheese and a yogurt dressing.

The food is good! I think the most challenging thing so far is the preparation time. I am finding plenty of abundant variety in my food, but all of it takes time to prepare. After all these years of eating most of my meals at the bakery I have gotten used to the convienence of grabbing a muffin or a bowl of soup when I feel the blood sugar getting low. I am finding that I am like so many other people who swing into the drive thru at the fast food joint when they need something to eat RIGHT NOW! The only difference is - I have had the good fortune to be able to grab something pretty healthy when the urge strikes me. This is definately a lesson in humility. It is also a lesson in the craft of food preparation. I am doing all kinds of things that I rarely take the time for - like making cheese and yogurt. In the process I am learning a LOT (I have made yogurt 4 times in the past week and it has turned out different each time). I feel like doing the same recipe over and over again is something I usually turn my nose up at (cause I always want to put a new spin on things), but with more limited ingredients to draw on I am getting the chance to perfect a single technique. When I have made yogurt a dozen more times hopefully I will be able to share a fool proof technique.

2 comments:

cisco said...

Wow, Cathy, I just hiked Mount Washington today and I'm so hungry right now...reading your blog is killing me! I really hope I bag a deer (aka "free range cow") this year!
We're eating more locally here too. We raised 3 turkeys this year, since word is that you always lose one to a racoon or coyote. Well, ours lived to the week before Thanksgiving and ranged in weight from 25 to 30 pounds! We can eat locally for weeks from a bird that size!
Since winter veggies are limited here in Maine, we''l be supplementing heavily with meat. We'll raise 20 broilin' chickens and maybe a pig this year.
It's fun to read your blog!
Cheers,
Frank

David E. Felton said...

Hey Cathy,
Venison stock, really? That is awesome. It is fascinating to hear you speak of this diet forcing you to take more time in preparing your food. I already thought of you as a person who spent a fair amount of time on food preparation, but I guess most of that is for other people! I'm glad you are spending a little more time preparing good food for yourself. I look forward to reading your yogurt recipe. Maybe you could also write about making your venison stock. And imagine running into Frank Carus here. This is what I like about blogging. If you ever look back at this hello to Frank & Trina, all my best to you and yours. Y'all are all inspirations for eating better.
Cheers, David