Monday, February 11, 2008

So today was day five of my experiment. Fat Tueday was almost a week ago. I got off to a rocky start with this locavore thing. I decided on Fat Tuesday that I would give up non-local food for the 40 days of Lent. So I had less than 24 hours to prepare for this craziness. I had a little local cornmeal, grits and sweet potatoes on hand some local eggs, honey and greens from the garden. My husband and I had made about 40 pounds of venison sausage plus we had roasts and ribs from a deer a friend had gotten for us. I knew the co-op had some good local cheeses - what more could I want?
I woke up Wednesday morning feeling kinda funny. I started the first day of my lenten resolution to eat only local food with great excitement and, strangely, no appetite. I made a big pot of grits and a batch of cornmeal only cornbread. I ate a little but for some reason wasn't very hungry. I went to work and started feeling funnier and funnier. I ate some salad greens with hard boiled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes. Then the waves of nausea began. Yep. I had the stomach flu. Thus began my grand experiment.
I'll spare you the details of the first couple of days, but it was not pretty. I wasn't sure if I wanted to ever eat cornbread or sweet potatoes again - but it was just about all I had to eat!!
Needless to say things are much better now. I just made a fabulous dinner - even Reid agreed that it was good. We had rosemary venison sausage links sauted with fried yukon gold potatoes with some farmstead cheese melted over the top, a salad of greens, grated sweet potato and goat cheese, and light moist cornbread. This is the first day that I don't feel like I'm going to bed with a half empty belly.

2 comments:

Natone said...

At first I wasn't sure what localvore was. I thought it was some kind of russian diet. Then I thought it was a cannabal thing, but done on locals. Hence the sausage. Did you use natural casings? I hear humans have miles of them.

David E. Felton said...

Hey Cathy,
Good luck with the experiment. I think it is a great idea to blog about it. I have a much neglected blog (see Feltonian Institute) which I hope to get back to someday...
But I often find the best blogs are those with a sharp focus on an experiment/experience such as yours. I look forward to reading more! My best to you and Reid. (I love that part about even Reid agreeing the meal was good. That old cantankerous dude, so hard to please, sheesh!:))